Sunday, June 17, 2012

"Project Resurrection" My Return to The Bodybuilding Stage ~ Installment 2

Today marks the completion of 10 full weeks of Project Resurrection. I've had improvements in both strength, and body composition. On April 16th 2012, my starting weight was 229lbs, and starting body fat percentage was an all time worst 20.4%. As of June 17th my weight is at 225.2, and my body fat % is a more tolerable 17.1%.

I've been focusing on workout economy......how much work can I get done in a unit of time. This work includes soft tissue work, warm-up, mobility, and the actual workout. I've also put more of an effort into my recovery by getting more sleep......getting to bed earlier at night, and getting in a few naps a week. I've combined this with more of a periodization approach to my training. For years I've always gone as hard & heavy as I could in every workout, and gravitated to exercises that I like best. Now that I'm 42, that doesn't work so well anymore. I'm using percentages on my core lifts (squats, deadlifts, bench press & overhead press), using a de-load week every 4th or 5th week, designing programs that don't last more than 4 to 5 weeks (this includes the de-load week), and spending more time in my warm-up. I'm also planning on taking (2) full weeks off a year from training which is something I've never done before. This has made a big improvement in how my joints/muscles feel. I don't feel so beat down, and tired. I'm more excited about my workouts, and I'm flat out stronger! Training needs to be hard, but to maximize the time & effort invested some thought should be put into your programming.

As is the norm with me, improvements to my training has been much easier than improvements in my nutrition. I'm in the cycle of doing enough damage on the weekends to ruin all the good eating habits during the week. I actually like eating healthy, so I can't quite pin point why weekends are so difficult, but with some simple planning, and a little will power, it can be fixed! This journey wasn't going to be without speed bumps, but if I'm going to get back on stage I will need to get rid of the self inflicted speed bumps!

Sincerely,
Scott Fleurant
Owner/Fitness Director: Impact Fitness Center
ACE Certified Personal Trainer
www.facebook.com/Impact.FC1

No comments:

Post a Comment