So, what are some of the benefits of breakfast that those who skip it are missing out on?
- Studies show that eating a healthy breakfast (as opposed to the kind containing doughnuts) can help give you:
A more nutritionally complete diet, higher in nutrients, vitamins and minerals.
Improved concentration and performance in the classroom or the boardroom.
More strength and endurance to engage in physical activity.
Lower cholesterol levels.
How about in terms of weight control?
Many studies, in both adults and children, have shown that breakfast eaters tend to weigh less than breakfast skippers.
Why? One theory suggests that eating a healthy breakfast can reduce hunger throughout the day, and help people make better food choices at other meals. While it might seem you could save calories by skipping breakfast, this is not an effective strategy. Typically, hunger gets the best of breakfast-skippers, and they eat more at lunch and throughout the day.
But, will eggs increase my cholesterol levels?
"Compared to the bagel eaters, overweight women who ate two eggs for breakfast five times a week for eight weeks as part of a low-fat, reduced-calorie diet, lost 65% more weight, reduced waist circumference by 83%, reported higher energy levels, and had no significant difference in their … blood cholesterol or triglyceride levels," reports researcher Nikhil V. Dhurandhar, PhD.
Well, what are some good breakfast ideas?
Even if you think you don’t have time to eat breakfast, there are grab-and-go options that fill the bill. Some quick and healthy choices include:
- A veggie omelet and a piece of whole-wheat toast
- A whole-wheat English muffin with low-fat cheese, a scrambled egg, and slice of tomato or lean ham
- Smoothie made with fruit and low-fat yogurt
- Salmon on 1/2 whole-grain bagel with light cream cheese
- Whole-grain cereal with fresh fruit and low-fat milk
- Oatmeal made with skim milk, raisins and nuts, with 4 ounces of orange juice
- Low-fat yogurt and a piece of fresh fruit
- Yogurt smoothie and breakfast bar
- Hard-boiled egg and a banana
Well, I don't like breakfast foods!
Eating breakfast doesn't mean you have to eat typical breakfast foods. The idea is eating something nutritious at the start of your day. If that means a turkey sandwich on whole wheat with a glass of milk and an apple, or chicken breast with brown rice.....perfect!
But I'm not hungry in the morning!
Breakfast doesn't need to be a full meal. Some low fat yogurt and fruit isn't a huge meal, but will provide fuel that your body and brain will appreciate at the start of your day.