Monday, January 18, 2010

A dog does not bark at a parked car! ~ Larry Zimberg

What the quote in the title is referring to is people’s willingness to rain on others parades. Have you ever decided to try something different in your life only to be met with “Why would you want to do that”?

Drifting through life very seldom ever makes someone take notice. Do something out of the ordinary however, and there’s a lot of feedback. There’s some positive feedback, and a whole lot of negative.

I remember when I became a personal trainer; I had people telling me I was crazy. Basically telling me I would fail before I even tried. I had a good job, great benefits, and worked for a strong company. Why would I want to leave? The reason was simple; I hated it. I would rather try something that I had a passion for, and fail, then be stuck in a job I hated for the rest of my life. Fortunately I had a tremendous amount of support from my then wife. It’s been a long road, and almost gave up on it many times, but here I am, still standing, and with a pretty good business……despite the naysayers.

In April of 2000 I had the privilege of donating bone marrow to unknown recipient through the Dana Farber Cancer Institute. I don’t talk about this to many people, but I’m sharing it to make a point. I actually had people ask me why I would do that for someone I didn’t know. BECAUSE I CAN! Should it matter if I know the person? Are you kidding me? If you have the chance to help someone out, do it. It may come full circle!

Listen, if you are looking to get in the best shape of your life, further your education, try a new career path, and sacrifice a small part of yourself to help someone; weigh the positives/negatives, do your homework, seek support from those closest to you, but if you are met along the way with negativity, don’t let it deter you from accomplishing your goals……from finding your place in the sun.

Conceive it, believe it, and achieve it!

All my best,
Scott Fleurant

No comments:

Post a Comment